In Season

Spicy Sweet Onion Dip

Saturday, March 28, 2009

Apple Pancakes

I have been wanting to make dutch babies or apple pancakes for a really long time. I have found tons of recipes, but they all say to make them in a 9" or 10" cast iron skillet. When I found this recipe in the latest Penzey's spice catalog I knew I had to try it. This was so easy and quick for a Saturday morning breakfast. I thought it was really good and didn't even put syrup or butter on it. 

Apple Pancakes
from Penzey's
1/4 Cup butter (1/2 stick), divided
4 eggs
1/4 tsp. PURE VANILLA EXTRACT
3/4 Cup all-purpose flour
3/4 Cup milk
1/2 tsp. salt
2 medium baking apples, peeled and thinly sliced
3 TB. CINNAMON SUGAR, divided

Preheat oven to 400°. Divide butter evenly between two 9 inch pie plates and put them in the oven to melt the butter. Rotate the pie plates until the butter coats the bottom and the sides. To make dividing the ingredients between the two plates easier, we used a 4-Cup measuring cup as our mixing bowl. Beat eggs, PURE VANILLA EXTRACT, flour, milk, and salt on medium speed for 1 minute. Toss the sliced apples with 2 TB. of the CINNAMON SUGAR. Arrange 1/2 of the apple slices in each pan so they cover the bottom in pretty much a single layer. Pour 1/2 the egg mixture over the apple slices in each pan. Sprinkle the remaining CINNAMON SUGAR over the batter in each pan. Bake until puffed and golden brown, 20-25 minutes. Serve right away, while still puffy, with warm syrup.

Prep time: 10 minutes
Baking time: 20-25 minutes
Serves: 4-6

4 comments:

  1. They look like the perfect weekend breakfast...and is that natural light I see!

    ReplyDelete
  2. this looks great!
    i love pancakes
    thanks

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Penzey's spices (Fox Point is my fav). I am going to make this for sure - my boys will gobble it up! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and sharing your comments.

Related Posts with Thumbnails