In Season

Spicy Sweet Onion Dip

Friday, March 6, 2009

Crispy Black Bean Tacos

Yes, my friends I am cleaning out my draft folder this week. How did you know? Was it the horrible greenish-yellow light of winter that gave it away? I have about a dozen posts with only recipes and pictures sitting in my draft folder just waiting to greet you. I promise that they are all very good recipes and worthy of your kitchen. We just had a bumpy winter and although we didn't quit eating, I just couldn't keep up with the blog posting.
Did you realize this weekend is already daylight savings time? This means it will actually still be light out when I get home from work. Of course there still won't be any light for our dinner photos as this means will will just stay out playing later and dinner will continually be bumped later and later until we find ourselves eating at our regular 10pm dinner time. 
As soon as I saw this recipe in Bon Appetit I knew that it would make an appearance in our kitchen. What's not to love? It is quick and easy and tasty too. I am really loving the flavors of cabbage and lime together. I didn't have any green onions the night we made these so I used red onion instead. I love the flavor of red onion in lime juice and would definitely use red onion again. We made our own tortillas, well sort of we used the package mix. 

Crispy Black Bean Tacos with Feta and Cabbage Slaw
from Bon Appetit

INGREDIENTS
1 15-ounce can black beans, drained
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
5 teaspoons olive oil, divided
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
2 cups coleslaw mix
2 green onions, chopped
1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
4 white or yellow corn tortillas
1/3 cup crumbled feta cheese
Bottled chipotle hot sauce or other hot sauce
PREPARATION
Place beans and cumin in small bowl; partially mash. Mix 2 teaspoons olive oil and lime juice in medium bowl; add coleslaw, green onions, and cilantro and toss to coat. Season slaw to taste with salt and pepper.
Heat 3 teaspoons olive oil in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add tortillas in single layer. Spoon 1/4 of bean mixture onto half of each tortilla; cook 1 minute. Fold tacos in half. Cook until golden brown, about 1 minute per side. Fill tacos with feta and slaw. Pass hot sauce alongside.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Nicole, wanted to say thank you here for the meyer lemon jelly - a real treat that I'm grateful Rebecca was willing to share! And thank you for the chanting, wine followed and I gave in !!

    Lynne (a.k.a. Rebecca's Mum)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and sharing your comments.

Related Posts with Thumbnails