In Season

Spicy Sweet Onion Dip

Saturday, May 15, 2010

Corn Bread

Because I have a food blog, I put a lot of pressure on myself for things to be perfect when cooking for others. Yet, there are two mistakes I make over and over again. One is making recipes that I have never made before for important events and two is not tasting things before I serve them.
Last November David and I went to the Kenai Peninsula to stay with a group of his friends. The whole weekend was a little overwhelming meeting so many new people. David asked if I would cook for everyone one day, so I made the only recipe I knew of that serves 24 people. I have never actually made the entire gumbo recipe, usually I make half and we still eat it for days. It is also one of the few things I can make without a recipe. The only thing I was struggling with was corn bread, I didn't have a recipe with me and I don't really have one that I use regularly. We were staying with David's good friend Sara, she suggested I just use the recipe on the Bob's Red Mill package.
Now, in this scenario you would think it would be the corn bread that I have never made before that I screwed up and not the gumbo that I have made 10,000 times. That is not quite how things went. It turns out everything was going well as we all sat down to dinner with our bowls of gumbo, passing the corn bread around the table. Then I took the first bite. It took everything in me not to yell out, "Noooo, don't eat that". I wanted to scoop up everyone's bowl and dump the gumbo back in the pan, but that might make me appear just slightly crazy. So, we all sat quietly eating our gumbo with terribly crunchy undercooked rice. I thought about apologizing, but sometimes I thing it is better just to let these things go. Everyone said it was good, but I'm pretty sure they were just being kind. Well, at least now I know what good people David's friends are. I'm sure they are still scratching their heads about my gumbo. I felt so bad, but the saving grace was the corn bread I had never made before. It was great and I knew I had finally found my regular corn bread recipe.


Corn Bread
adapted from Bob's Red Mill Medium Grind Cornmeal Bag

Ingredients
1 cup Medium Grind Cornmeal
1 cup Whole Wheat Flour
1/2 tsp Salt
4 tsp. Baking Powder
2 tsp. Sugar
1 Egg
1 cup Milk
1/4 cup Butter, melted and cooled

Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
Sift together dry ingredients into a bowl.
Add egg, milk and butter. Beat until smooth, about one minute. Do not overbeat.
Bake in a greased 8-inch square pan for 20-25 minutes. Serve warm with butter and a beaming smile.(Seriously, that was part of the recipe and I couldn't leave it out, I might just make it the last line in every recipe!)

1 comment:

  1. This corn bread looks irresistible, and I'm sure it's even better when served "with a beaming smile"! That's a great way to end a recipe.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and sharing your comments.

Related Posts with Thumbnails