In Season

Spicy Sweet Onion Dip

Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Tahini Crusted Sirloin Steak with Green Tea Soba Noodles

It is amazing how much social media has influenced my life. Besides the fact that I have reconnected with people I probably never would have spoken to again, I get regular updates about what's on sale at my local market, and in turn friends share recipes about what to do with the stuff on sale at the market. I rarely buy sirloin steak for anything but fajitas. When a friend mentioned marinating it in tamari and fresh ginger and serving it over green tea soba, well that just sounded too good not to try. I adapted the idea a bit and made more of a crust for the steak. The results were one of the best tasting steaks I have ever eaten.
Please note that I didn't actually measure anything when I made this, so blend the ingredients so they look good to you. Amy's tip was to rinse the soba noodles in bunches by hand with cold water, it will make them taste better.

Tahini Crusted Sirloin Steak with Green Soba Noodles
Serves 2
Ingredients
2 inch piece of ginger grated
2 cloves garlic minced
2 tablespoons tamari +1 tablespoon reserved for sauce
1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
1/4 cup vegetable oil +2 tablespoons reserved for sauce
1/4 cup tahini
1 pound sirloin steak
2/3 9.5 oz. package green tea soba noodles

In a small bowl add ginger, garlic, 2 tbsp tamari, rice wine vinegar, 1/4 vegetable oil, and tahini. Blend with an immersion blend or whisk vigorously. At this point the mixture should be a thin paste like consistency. Spread the mixture in a thick coat on to the sirloin steak on both sides. Reserve remaining sauce. Place steak on a pre-heated grill or medium -high griddle. Cook about six minutes on each side depending on the thickness of your steak and how well you like it done. While steak is cooking, prepare soba noodles according to package instructions and rinse thoroughly. Add remaining tamari and vegetable oil to the paste mixture and whisk to create a sauce,  mix into noodles. Slice steak thin and serve over noodles.

2 comments:

  1. Hi,
    as I further explore your blog, I become more and more impressed, you have a knack (talent). Anyway was wondering if you have tried Misty Mountain beef from Delta. I've gotten hooked on this stuff, its wonderful, local grass and barely fed. Maybe not truly organic, and I don't know much about the farm, but worth checking out, if you can. Its kind of hard to get but I can get it in Wasilla at MatValley meats.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thomas,
    I have had some of the Delta meats products, but I don't think I have heard of Misty Mountain Beef. Possibly they are the same thing and I just didn't realize. We have Homegrown Market here in Fairbanks that carries a lot of local meats. I'll look for the Misty Mountain the next time I am there. Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment.
    -Nicole

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and sharing your comments.

Related Posts with Thumbnails