In Season

Spicy Sweet Onion Dip

Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Pannukakku

Still looking for something delicious and super easy to make Christmas morning? Pannukaku is a traditional Finnish Breakfast dish usually served with jam. It is related to crepes, swedish pancakes, and I believe most resembles the Dutch Baby. It is definitely more buttery (making it good for special occasions as you might only want to eat it once a year) and a little more custardy. Although I never had it growing up it was very popular where I lived. They even serve it at a local restaurant, The Suomi Cafe where the pronunciation sounds more like Bunn-oo-guck-oo. The pronunciation is probably more Yooper (a person living in Michigan's Upper Peninsula) than Finnish.Now, I have to stop in for breakfast and Pannukakku every time I visit. Traditionally, I believe it is supposed to be served with Lingonberry Jam. The Suomi Cafe serves it with Raspberry, and David eats it with Maple Syrup. I say make your own traditions. We will being eating our traditional cinnamon rolls, but if I thought I could get away with something this simple I would! Happy Holidays everyone.
Pannukakku
adapted from Erin's Kitchen (she got her recipe from her Finnish Grandmother living in the U.P., so I know it is authentic)

Note: This recipe was updated on December 3, 2016

4 tbsp. butter
1C flour
1/4 C sugar
4 eggs (I occasionally use six eggs to make it extra custardy)
2C milk

Preheat oven to 350.Melt butter in oven in a 9x13 pan; should be sizzling when you take it out.
Meanwhile, mix other ingredients like hell(this is also how I know the recipe is authentic) - till very frothy. Pour batter into pan with melted butter.
Bake 40 minutes. Eat immediately.

8 comments:

  1. This looks delicious, and with a simple ingredient list. I love this. I am looking for something to do on Xmas morning. I was thinking I would do some kind of bread, but these looks so much like a cheese danish, and I LOVE cheese danishes. Yum!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely recipe! Merry Christmas & Happy New Year to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  3. and if anyone would like to know Suomi is Finland in Finnish

    ReplyDelete
  4. One of our favorite Christmas tradition.....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Is today special enough to make this? :-D Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Unusually rich version of pancake, although it looks like a Finnish Pannukakku. Usually "pannukakku" has at most 1/4 of amount of flour of sugar and also quite a little butter (if any). Usual basic version would have 2 tbs of sugar and butter of each in these amount of other ingredients. Also quite a lot of eggs - in this amount of milk and flour 2 would be enough. So this is unusually rich one, but I am sure it is delicious. (Eeva from Helsinki, Finland)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just like my recipe but I only use a teaspoon of sugar. Cannot imagine a whole cup. Lingon Berries or maple syrup are sweet enough!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Our family always has Pannukakku for breakfast on Christmas morning and our kids absolutely love it!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and sharing your comments.

Related Posts with Thumbnails