In Season

Spicy Sweet Onion Dip

Saturday, March 10, 2012

Potato, Onion, and Feta Tart

I have the same problem every week. Friday rolls around and I still haven't grocery shopped for the weekend. The last thing I want to do at the end of the day on Friday is hit a packed grocery store. So, I run in and grab a few quick things that I make every weekend. I think that I will run back in and grab a few things later that weekend. I never buy enough to get me through Monday dinner. Since I work from home on Monday, there is really no good reason for me to run into town except to buy groceries. Then I kick myself that I didn't plan ahead. I repeat this scenario week after week. This makes Monday dinners a creative event, not to mention scrounging up something for lunch that day.  On a recent Sunday night things were looking pretty grim. I had little bits of things leftover from the weekend. One leftover baked potato, a couple slices of cooked bacon, some greens, and a box of puff pastry in the freezer. I put the puff pastry in the fridge thinking I might fill it with apples or maybe some raspberry jam and cream cheese for breakfast. The last bagel had disappeared on Saturday, so that left slim pickings for breakfast as well.
It turned out that I wasn't in the mood for breakfast on Monday, but I was ravenous by the time lunch came around. That was when the idea struck me, a savory tart with caramelized onions, potatoes, and bacon. I did a quick google search and found something very similar by Donna Hay which gave me the idea to add rosemary.  I used dried, but would use fresh if I had it available in the future. This turned out so well that I immediately put two more potatoes in the oven for that nights dinner. I didn't have any bacon left, but it was still really good. I want to try making this again in the future with some toasted walnuts. David asked what made me think of this for dinner, I laughed and said it was all we had left in the house. The only problem came when I was snowed in on Tuesday. We have had some tremendous snowfall here in Fairbanks this week. Probably would be smart to plan ahead for this weekend.

Potato, Onion, and Feta Tart
adapted from Donna Hay
makes 2 small tarts

1 small yellow onion, thinly sliced
1 tbsp butter
1/2 half sheet of puff pastry, thawed
1 medium potato, baked, thinly sliced
2 pinches rosemary
fresh ground pepper to taste
2 tbsp feta cheese
2 strips bacon, cooked and crumbled
fresh salad greens
vinaigrette of choice

Place a small skillet over medium heat and add butter, once melted add onions. Allow onions to cook, stirring occasionally until deep golden brown in color. Remove from heat.
Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
Cut puff pastry into two squares on place on prepared baking sheet, score all the way around the edge of each about 1/2 inch, don't cut all the way through. Divide onion mixture between the two tarts spreading it inside the scored area. Place a thin layer of potato slices over onion, again staying inside the border area. It is fine if the potato overlaps a bit. Season with rosemary and fresh ground pepper. Divide and sprinkle bacon and feta cheese over each tart. Place in oven for approximately 20 minutes, until puff pastry is golden. Remove from oven and let cool for 5 minutes. Top with fresh greens and a drizzle of vinaigrette. Serve immediately.
You can double or even triple this recipe and make one large tart on a whole sheet of puff pastry which is what I did for dinner. Feel free to switch up toppings to your liking.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by and sharing your comments.

Related Posts with Thumbnails