In Season

Spicy Sweet Onion Dip

Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Asparagus with Egg, Parmesan, and Lemon


I have been so busy thinking about St. Patrick's Day recipes and celebrations that I didn't even realize that Easter is right around the corner as well. Not to mention that we need to turn our clocks ahead one hour when we go to bed on Saturday night. It feels like spring is really here. Well, sort of...there is still all that snow. I'm not convinced there isn't more coming. In the meantime I'll celebrate spring in the simple ways that I can for now, like enjoying those first little scrawny spears of asparagus we are finding at the local grocery store. If this year is anything like the last few, I predict there will be a whole lot of asparagus on our menu that next few weeks (and one more day of snow shoveling). I love asparagus roasted, steamed, tossed in pasta, as a side item, added to soup...you get the picture. I'm always looking for new ways with asparagus, if you have a suggestion, leave me a comment. I'd love to hear it.
This dish is really easy to put together. The only thing that takes any time is the boiling of the eggs. The ingredients remind me a bit of a deconstructed ceasar dressing. The perfect thing for a spring lunch, or maybe a light dinner with a piece of Alaska Salmon.
Amazon.com
Asparagus with hard-boiled eggs, Parmesan, and lemon
adapted from Very Fond of Food by Sophie Dahl

12-16 asparagus spears (more if they are super skinny)
2 hard boiled eggs, finely chopped
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
juice and zest of 1/2 lemon
salt and pepper

Heat a heavy, preferably cast iron skillet over high heat. Remove the tough ends from the asparagus and  cook for about 3 minutes on each side. If your asparagus is exceptionally thin like mine you may only need to cook it for 3-4 minutes total. Just keep an eye on it to prevent it from getting too black.
On a large plate, or platter add half of each of the chopped egg, olive oil, Parmesan, and lemon juice. Place asparagus spears over top and sprinkle with remainder of the egg, and Parmesan. Drizzle the remaining olive oil and lemon juice over asparagus, and sprinkle with lemon zest. Add salt and pepper to taste. Serve immediately. Makes two servings for lunch or possibly four as a dinner side with a nice piece of salmon.

4 comments:

  1. I've never seen asparagus served this way---I love it! I just saw bunches of the teeny stalks the other day, I'll have to try this, it's the picture of spring!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This make me long for spring even more, great shots!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum this looks delish, what an interesting way to prepare asparagus! My favorite way to cook it is roasted with butter, thinly shaved parmesan cheese and lots toasted breadcrumbs. It's how my favorite restaurant in Florence (La Giostra) prepares it and nothing compares!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your beautiful blog good job Thanks lot for this useful article

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and sharing your comments.

Related Posts with Thumbnails