In Season

Spicy Sweet Onion Dip

Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Irish Coffee Blondies

I just returned from a whirlwind trip to Anchorage, 15 hours of driving in one 36 hour time period. I was totally wiped out today. I thought I might be getting sick, but I'm pretty sure I was just tired. In the last few years the majority of my trips to Anchorage have been by plane. It was nice to have the luxury of my own car to stop up on some fun supplies, mostly groceries. I didn't have to worry about only having a carry-on bag and not being able to bring back any liquids. Yet, I couldn't help but think that I might be moving soon and everything I bought was something I would potentially have to take with me if I did. So, I brought back a mostly empty car. One thing I have been doing lately during long drives is listening to language learning CD's. I find it remarkably meditative. You can't really think about anything else, it really clears the mind. I used to listen to books on tape in the car, but even then I still found my mind would wander off and I would miss whole chapters of the book. Do you have any secrets to keeping your brain occupied on long car trips?
It's taken me a while to figure this all out, but I recently realized if I don't post holiday recipes until the day of the actual holiday, nobody is going to make them. By the time next year rolls around, you will have totally forgotten about them and there will be some hot new green recipe for St. Patrick's Day next year. That's another thing, I'm not really a big fan of green recipes, or green beer for that matter. Maybe that's because I don't want to reserve Irish Coffee for one day of the year, or Irish Cream especially. Although, I might be better off reserving these blondies for only one day a year. They are great with a cup of coffee. Cut them into small squares, they are very rich, and very buttery. If I say something is rich, well it definitely is! If you absolutely must have something green on the menu for St. Patrick's Day, go ahead and add a few drops of green food coloring to the glaze.

Irish Coffee Blondies
adapted from Martha Stewart

Blondies
2 sticks unsalted butter, plus more for pan
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
2 cups packed light-brown sugar
2 teaspoons espresso powder
Salt
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/2 cup sliced almonds

Glaze
1 tablespoon melted butter, warm
2 tablespoons Irish whiskey
3/4 cup powdered sugar, sifted


Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Butter or spray with baking spray a 9-by-13-inch baking pan. Line the pan with parchment so that it overhangs on all sides. Butter or spray parchment.

Whisk together flour, baking powder, and baking soda. Set aside.

Melt butter, and pour into a mixing bowl with brown sugar, espresso powder, and 1 teaspoon salt. Stir with a wooden spoon to combine. Add eggs and vanilla extract, mix to combine. Stir in flour mixture until just combined, don't overmix. Pour batter into pan, and sprinkle with almonds. Bake 27 to 30 minutes. A shorter baking time will result in a chewier blondie. Cool completely before glazing.

For the glaze: In a two cup measuring cup (or other container with a spout) whisk together butter and whiskey. Gradually whisk in powdered sugar until glaze is thick but pourable. Drizzle glaze over blondies. Let glaze dry. Cut blondies into small squares.


15 comments:

  1. I'm on a total blondie binge lately! I love how deeply colored these are inside from the espresso powder and all that brown sugar. And the whiskey glaze is a killer, I don't think I've ever made a glazed blondie before. I like that you just sprinkled the almonds on top and left the inside smooth, too. Great recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sue! This is definitely a once a year treat.

      Delete
  2. What a fantastic take on blondies! Boozy blondies. I often listened to books on tape when I'm in the car, too, but have the same mind-wandering problems.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by. I have listened to entire books and really couldn't tell you anything about them. The scariest part is when you get to daydreaming and you can't remember if you passed your turn off.

      Delete
  3. I prefer watching around through window, that is why I don't drive :) Lovely blondies

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I could only find myself a chauffeur! That would be my preference as well.

      Delete
  4. Oh wow yum, your blondies look so good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love cooking but I cannot bake! You make it seem so simple. I will try this recipe! Thank you :) love you, you're so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! Its looking yummy... Im excited to make this... thanks for the recipe... love your blog.
    professional coffee machines

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and sharing your comments.

Related Posts with Thumbnails