In Season

Spicy Sweet Onion Dip

Tuesday, October 29, 2013

How to Make Great Oatmeal

Happy National Oatmeal Day! Who decides these crazy food holidays anyway? I actually have them all downloaded on my Google Calendar. I had planned to share my method for oatmeal last week, but then when I saw that National Oatmeal Day was coming up I decided to hold off posting this for a week. It seemed appropriate. This post isn't about some decadent oatmeal recipe, although I do have plenty of those recipes too! I'm not going to tell you what you should top your oatmeal with, although you will see my favorite combination of fresh raspberries and brown sugar in these photos. This is how I make my simple, everyday bowl of oatmeal. I have not always made good oatmeal, my process has evolved over the years. The other day I realized that I probably don't make oatmeal like everyone else. I'm not a huge fan of overcooked, one texture kind of oatmeal. I like my oats to have both flavor and texture. So, I'll tell you that my method results in a more chewy kind of oatmeal than you might be used to, but every time I make it for someone they always comment that I make great oatmeal. So, I guess it's time I share my secrets. What about you, have any secrets to making great oatmeal? Share them in the comments, I'd love to hear them.

How to Make Great Oatmeal

"This recipe makes one individual serving, to serve more people you will need to adjust the cooking time"

1/2 cup thick-cut old fashioned rolled oats, plus three tablespoons
1 cup water
pinch of sea salt

Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Spread oats in a single layer on a cookie sheet. Place oats in oven for about 5-7 minutes or until they have taken a slight brown hue and smell nutty.
Place oats in a small saucepan with water and salt, bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Turn down to a slow simmer and let oats cook for about three minutes, or until  the mixture is thick and the water has been incorporated into the oats. Add an additional two tablespoons of oats and cook for two more minutes. Add the final tablespoon of oats and cook for one more minute. Remove from heat and serve immediately with your choice of toppings.

5 comments:

  1. I didn't realize it was oatmeal day. i eat it every morning!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow-i eat oatmeal often and do think that mine is great too-
    this looks fab
    will try it out SOON!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so interesting- I've never been quite happy with my own oatmeal. Thanks for sharing your method!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks and sounds hmm GREAT! :) I'm also a huge oatmeal-eater and I also like texture in mine but somehow I found that cooking it long and with more water than normally indicated makes a pretty darn good oatmeal as well :) But I am so fascinated by this oven trick I just can't wait to try it out myself! ;) Lovely photos, by the way :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can't wait to try first roasting the oatmeal!
    The secret to my perfectly cooked stovetop oatmeal is a 2/1 ratio, don't use too much water and do not stir while cooking.
    One Serving: Bring 1 C water to boil, reduce heat to low, add 1/2 C Old Fashioned Oatmeal (rolled oats) with one pealed chpd Apple. Cook on a slow simmer uncovered until all water absorbed. Top with 1 tsp Butter, a few drops of pure Maple Syrup, Cinnamon, chpd Walnuts.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and sharing your comments.

Related Posts with Thumbnails